(Please bear with me, I'm not a photographer)
I didn't really have an exact recipe to follow so I kind of tweaked an old one (s) and put it together.
Lemon Cake (originally Yellow Cake)
21/4 cups cake flour (regular all-purpose flour works just fine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk (I used half and half because it was on hand and it makes the cake creamier)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease and flour a sheet cake pan or bar stone pan. Whichever one you have on hand
- Into large bowl, measure all ingredients;
With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to high; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Pour batter into pan.
Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
Let the cake sit in the pan for about ten minutes. With a serrated knife cut even squares. When they are cool enough place on a cooling rack
While the cake is in the oven you will need to make a lemon-curd filling
1 cup sugar
- From lemon, grate 1 TBS peel and squeeze 3 TBS juice.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stir lemon juice, lemon peel, butter, and sugar until butter melts.
- in small bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add eggs to butter mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and coats the back of a spoon well, about 15 minutes (do not boil or mixture will curdle). Pour filling into a bowl; cover and chill. I chilled mine in the freezer because it was quicker and it took only about 30-45 minutes total.
Cut the cake squares through the middle. Spread the chilled lemon filling lightly on both pieces. Put the halves back together and sprinkle the top lightly with powdered sugar.