Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Covenant Ceremony

This past Friday evening, a special event took place around my house. My covenant ceremony. 
As you can see from the pictures, this isn't some simple affair. It's serious.



Unlike Stephanie and Emily's covenant ceremonies, I wanted more than just my family and pastor to be there. My friends help shape me into being the person that I am. They are my peers, and help to keep me in line.
So, with more than just my family there, as you can see, it made it all the more special. Even more so because a family of 13 was there. We've been pen pals with this family for almost a year and just met them in person last week. 



There is one table not shown here, but that's just about all of them. :)

Dinner was fabulous.
And so were the desserts! Which were homemade Profiterole Puffs, they're just like cream puffs, and Caramel Custard


After we finished this luscious meal, we all gathered in a semi-circle around the beautifully decorated arbor.


Dad gave a little speech thanking everyone for coming, and explaining what the purpose of this covenant ceremony was: my decision to place myself under my father's protection and to wait for God's leading in the direction of a future life partner. 


Mom explained the reason why my covenant was different than the other two girls'.

Pastor then spoke about me. His message was touching, and tear-jerking, for me at least. :)


After that, we invited anyone who wanted to speak. Stephanie and Emily gave me a heart warming and challenge-filled speech. My pseudo brother Josh spoke as well. That was tear-jerking too.

I sang the song, 'Thank You Mama and Papa accompanied by Stephanie on the guitar.

The covenant signing followed suit. 

Daddy read his vows to me:

  • I will protect you from unqualified men.
  • I will teach you God's principles of life.
  • I will pray for you and for God's choice of your life partner.
I in turn, read my vows to daddy:

  • I will keep myself pure for my husband
  • I will obtain your blessing on my courtship
  • I will wait for your full release before entering into marriage. 
We both signed it, and pastor witnessed and dated the document.


Daddy then presented me with a special ring as a symbol of our vows. 

By then we were both crying...


Daddy finished the whole ceremony up with a blessing/prayer for me.


A slew of pictures were taken after that. 
Each of these dear girls have made similar covenants with their dads. They are the ones who are to keep me accountable to the covenant I have made. 


Here's a close-up of the signed covenant;


And the ring! I love this simple little 14k white gold ring. It doesn't look fancy or anything, but I'm not one to have baubles or big things on my rings. With it being so small, it's easier to play piano with. 

The engraved design is the key to my heart under my father's umbrella of protection. 


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Haley!
      i agree with Leah!
      That was such a wonderful day! I am so glad I got to be a part of it!
      I am also glad that God thought to bring us to be friends, and I loved meeting a few of your friends!
      I really enjoyed time with you at your house. It’s really nice to have a friend with the same convictions that I have. Cant wait to see you all again. How’s your ‘swimmers itch’?
      Well, got to go!
      Love and miss you!
      Your “Haley Twin,”
      Haley B.

      Delete
    2. Hey Girlie!
      That was a wonderful day! And I am just as, if not even more glad than you are that you got to be there. :)
      That was a bundle of fun and I simply cannot wait to do it again. Yes, the awesomeness of God's grace for bringing us together is unfathomable.
      It's not too bad actually.
      How's yours?
      Love and miss you too!
      Your "Haley Twin,"
      Haley L.

      Delete
  2. Gasp!....thats.so.awesome..i.always.cry.with.this.kind.of.stuff....i.love.you!....your.ring.is.gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. You're such a dear. Thank you! I absolutely adore it. :)

      Delete
  3. I saw this yesterday on your mom's blog, Haley! (we stumbled upon it quite by accident - so fun how things like that happen :D) that is absolutely beautiful! And your ring is so gorgeous! I love the symbolism :)

    God bless, sis! :)

    <3 ~ Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADRIENNE!!!!
      That's so awesome that you did!
      Thank you so much. Your support means a lot.
      God bless you too
      <3 ~Haley

      Delete
  4. I love the symbol on that ring. It makes all the sense in the world. It's dreadfully sad that most daughters do not understand "that" principle.
    God bless you, and your family.
    You know what, you encourage me. You really do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really, truly sad that they don't.
      Thank you. That means a lot to have you say that.

      Delete

I love comments! Share what's on your mind, but be respectful please. :)